The Creswell Chronicle -

By Staff Reports
The Creswell Chronicle 

Creswell Turns the Big 1-4-5

Creswell legally became a city on March 4, 1873. In honor of this milestone, enjoy this timeline - a compilation of Chronicle archives and "The Blue Valley: A History of Creswell," published by the Creswell Area Historical Society.

 

March 1, 2018

Chronicle Archives

1878 - John Tunnell installed a grist mill on the Coast Fork Willamette with the capacity to grind 50 barrels of flour a day. This $10,000 building was later converted into Creswell's first electric system. It eventually became a full-time operation and was powered by a large wooden water wheel.

A very Creswellian Timeline

1845-2017

1845 - Charles G. Martin was the first to take up claim in the Creswell area under the Donation Land Claim Act approved by Congress. Martin settled five miles west of town.

1852 - John Gilfry established this area's first post office in his general store at Cloverdale across the Coast Fork of the Willamette River, where Dari Mart now stands on Front Street.

1853 - When Joseph Petty came to Creswell, he started...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018